Let me introduce you to the Solar Oven, a clean and “natural” way to cook your food. Instead of turning on your oven, preheating it, and spending all that energy, money, and time to bake 12 cookies, try using the Solar Oven. It is made of usual household items and is incredibly cheap to create. In addition, it’ll save you a nice sum of cash at the end of the year.
Here is how you build one yourself:
- Cardboard pizza box
- Tin foil
- Zip-lock bag
- Glass plate
Yeah, that’s it. All of these supplies can be found in the average kitchen or can be bought at a cheap price.
Now, here’s how you put it all together:
1) Cut an opening flap on the pizza box (if it doesn’t already have one).
2) Cut three sides of the box, leaving a gap between the opening and edges of the lid. Then fold the flap back.
3) Cover the inner side of the flap with tin foil.
4) Tape the zip-lock bag over the opening of the pizza box to insulate heat and protect your food from the external environment.
5) Fill the sides of the box with newspaper, and you’re done!
It’s that easy. Check out a more detailed version on how to build a Solar Oven here:
Oh, but that is not it. You can also make a Solar Frying Pan to sizzle up some eggs. Like the Solar Oven, a Solar Frying Pan will be cheap to make and works wonderfully, but it’s even easier to make. All you need is a large piece of tin foil. Wrap the sides up and tilt them inward to create a “pan-like” shape. Then spray some butter on it and bring it outside on a hot and sunny day (bring some eggs too!). Place the Solar Pan on your driveway or sidewalk and then crack open some eggs into it. The eggs will cook quickly and proportionally, a delicious breakfast. If you’re running late to work, don’t worry! Bring a magnifying glass with you. It’ll cook the eggs even faster.
Check out this video:
Try these out at home as a fun experiment! Solar cooking saves a lot of energy and money, and can be very fun for everyone!