Have you ever been bothered with the amount of waste you see in in your trash can? Have you thought about composting, but it seemed impossible in college? Well now you can easily collect your kitchen scraps and turn them in each week, diverting them from toxic landfills to nutrient-rich soil.
The Charlottesville City Market just launched a new composting program this year to encourage residents and vendors to start or expand their composting efforts. Here is how it works (from the website):
- Find a small pail or bucket (preferably one with a lid and handle)
- Place it under your kitchen sink (or near your kitchen trash can)
- Line your bucket with a compostable bag (provided for free at the City Market)
- Collect your food waste
- Store your for waste in an accessible location
- If it gets smelly: stick it in the freezer or tie it off and use a second compostable bag
- April to September 2015, bring your pail or bucket to the City Market Composting Station
- Talk to the staff about any concerns or questions
Accepted compost items include all food and plant items, uncoated paper not otherwise recyclable (such as napkins and pizza boxes), and certified compostable products (such as corn-based plastic cups). For a more detailed list, see the official website.
The program is also available for the vendors at the farmer’s market to dispose of leftover food, and the station provides composting receptacles for consumers at the market as well.
“It’s really in line with a lot of what the farmers market focuses on,” said organizer Susan Elliott. ” Rather than taking all those nutrients that are in the organic matter and bringing them to a landfill and burying them where they don’t necessarily break down, we’re keeping them in the local food cycle where it’s being turned back into the nutrients that feed the soils that then we can use to grow our food.”
This pilot program will run this year from April 6th to September 26th and is currently funded by a one-time grant by the EPA.
For more information on the program, visit the official website: